Monday, April 27, 2009

Ushaw 2009, a few more.

Here are photos of the Fathers relaxing, eating and one of them listening to a talk in the hall. Also a photo of the procession out of the chapel. Thanks to Leo Darroch for the pictures.

I loved the daily routine of last week. In the combox Fr Elkin has written interestingly about life as he knew it at Ushaw in the 50`s. I enjoyed having sung Lauds and Vespers every day and a sung daily Mass. My enthusiasm for the religious life which has lain dormant since I left the novitiate of the Discalced Carmelites in 1983 came back to life! I remember at the time wondering whether I shouldn`t be a Benedictine rather than a Carmelite. Too late to worry about it now. Here are the pictures.



7 comments:

Adrienne said...

Hmmmm. A whole bunch of priests that look like priests. Will wonders never cease!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Father, for all of the photos and reports of the Ushaw conference. I well remember a school trip to Ushaw for the boys in the final year of primary school (c 1970). No doubt this was a quiet attempt to encourage vocations. We were given a tour of the builings by a couple of genial seminarians.

We were shown at an early stage in the tour a new chapel - basically an undecorated box - while towards the end we made a quick visit to St Cuthbert's chapel. Our jaws dropped - most of us had never been in such a spectacular church. One of the seminarians said quickly "but I think you will probably prefer the new chapel" before ushering us out quickly. Discussion wasn't encouraged! I remember we talked about this on the bus going back to Newcastle. The seminarian's viewpoint was by no means universally shared!

Tom

ScepticalBeliever said...

Not too many young ones amongst them. Well, none, in fact!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures..

Fr Michael Brown said...

There were plenty of clergy younger than me. From your comment,Sceptical, do I assume you consider it to have been a waste of time?

ScepticalBeliever said...

You can assume what you like, Father, but your conclusion would be quite wrong. The photograph doesn't make anyone look exactly youthful and so I was remarking on what I saw.

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.