Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Carmel flourishes


Having spent six months on Boar`s Hill outside Oxford as a postulant and novice with the Discalced Carmelites back in 1982 I always have a fondness for Carmel. ( I left as I realised I was having a liturgical crisis.) I imagine readers will be aware of the new community of Carmelites, using the Extraordinary Form, in Wyoming in the USA, but I hadn`t realised how ambitious they are. As you can see they have bought an area in the mountains and plan to build an enormous monastery in the Gothic style. It`s hard to imagine this happening in England! According to the website they are flooded with vocations and have had 500 inquiries in the last few years. It all gives hope for the future: God still send vocations to His Church. At the same time it is strange that a community like this should be doing so well while others with similar aims don`t seem to do as well.

No comments: